Most RVs come with slide-outs to provide more room and maximize comfort in your home away from home. Being a mechanical component, one should know that they can also be subject to mechanical failure. The most common issue that campers may experience with a slide-outs is the slide will run crooked, with only one side moving in our out. This indicates a problem with the slide-out's timing.
Stopping a slide halfway in or out can cause mechanical failure. Only run slides fully in or fully out. Never reverse directions midway.
If your RV came with a Schwintek slide-out, there are some steps you can take to troubleshoot the problem yourself, prevent further damage, and hopefully avoid a trip to the shop.
Troubleshooting Your Slide-Out
Step 1: Identify if your slide is a Schwintek
- Look for the gear tracks. Schwintek slides will have black or silver tracks at the top and bottom of the slide-out
- Listen for the motor. Schwintek motors are located at the top of the slide-out.
Step 2: Go to your control panel
- Hold down the button and attempt to run the slide out, results will vary but try to move it 2 or 3 inches
- Next, run the slide back in. Once it stops, continue to hold the button for an extra 3 or 4 seconds
- You will repeat these steps several more times in effort to re-time the slide-out
- If this does not resolve your issue, proceed to Step 3
Step 3: Locate your slide-out controller
- The controller can be located in a passthrough compartment, a cabinet, or drawer. Typically, the controller is near the slide-out.
- Once the controller box has been located you will notice red and green lights that will help you understand the error. Your controller may also display an error code.
- If the Green Light is blinking once, the error is with Motor 1. If the Green Light blinks twice, the error is with Motor 2.
- The Red Lights will indicate the faults that are causing the error
- Locate a gray button called the Override Button. Use a small screwdriver to depress the button six times. On the seventh time hold the button down until the red and green lights are both rapidly blinking.
- Return to your slide-out control panel and hold the In or Out button depending on which position your slide is in. If you slide is in the IN position, hold the OUT button. If your slide is in the OUT position, hold the IN button. This should override the motors and allow both to work.
If the steps above are unable to sync the slide-out back to normal timing, you will need to seek further assistance.
You may find this walkthrough video helpful:
This content is not a legal standard or regulation, and does not create any new legal obligation. It is advisory in nature, informational in content, and is intended to assist and educate consumers in the use and enjoyment of their recreational vehicles. Great American RV Superstores does not hereby make any warranty, express or implied, and does not assume any liability with respect to the use of, or damages resulting from the use of any information, method or process included in this content.